Warren Buffett and his pals, Bill and Melinda Gates are famous for spearheading a movement for billionaires to pledge to give away the majority of their wealth and not leave it to their heirs. This is a fabulous example they've set for the rest of the world. About his decision, he says,
“Were we to use more than 1% of my claim checks on ourselves, neither our happiness nor our well-being would be enhanced. In contrast, that remaining 99% can have a huge effect on the health and welfare of others.”
- Warren Buffett via The Giving Pledge
And he urges others to join him,
“If you’re in the luckiest one per cent of humanity, you owe it to the rest of humanity to think about the other 99 per cent.”
Even if you’re not in the 1%, it's important to remember how fortunate you are. Just reading this alone means that you've got access to technology that some have never even heard of, and even more importantly, you can read.
Giving can take many forms: a local charity, a national cause you support, your house of worship, a family down the block that you know is struggling. If you're deep in debt and working yourself out, giving can mean driving a coworker home at the end of your shift; babysitting your friend's kids for free; taking a meal to a neighbor who's ill.